Aloha

Karl Carvalho

Greeting from Hawaii. It is great to find this forum. The Islands are a long way from...everything.

Twenty-five years ago, I first read “ The Art of Netsuke Carving” and got hooked. Hawaii was (is) an expensive place to start a business and a family, so I packed all my tools, books and materials away in boxes to look for a “real” job.

Today, I am a restoration cabinetmaker and millwright specializing in museums and historic homes. Along the way I picked up skills in precision machining and jewelry benchwork. My favorite jobs have been restoring Tansu (Japanese cabinetry), especially the metalwork.

I recently finished a couple of months with noted teacher and metalworker Gene Pijanowski in his Japanese metals class. I am planning to create my own Tansu hardware in a more exotic form than I have seen so far.(Still have those boxes.)

I apologize in advance for poor web skills as I am a technonovice. I intend to participate to my best ability; this forum is too valuable to be used as a passive tool.

Recommendation: for those would like to have reference material on Pacific Ocean creatures, the book Archipelago documents a survey of one of the largest marine ecosystems in the world. Great pictures and text.

mahalo

Karl

Aloha Karl. Sounds like an interesting life you have. I'm curious where you took the Gene's class?

We'll look forward to your participation.

Jim

aloha

Hope that I got this reply thing right. Gene established a retirement/low profile presence

here several years ago, traveling back and forth to Japan. He has developed an association with a

local arts center to teach classes. The shop is relatively new, well equipped and has benefited from

his input. I was fortunate to spend 6 hours a week learning new techniques over a 7 week period.

We have had many artists and craftspeople (from Asia and the world over) teach classes here.(The advantages of writing off a vacation/teaching in “paradise”, I suppose.) Our good fortune. Valentin Yotkov will be here this summer.

mahalo

Karl

Oh yes, a belated thanks! to Janel for her help and encouragement. I don’t know where she finds the time.

Thank you Karl, I don't know either! I do know that I believe in the goodness of this forum, so as long as the members keep making this a great forum, I will try to do what I can to help it along.

Welcome! I am pleased that you have posted your interesting introduction. Thank you for the book recommendation.

You did find one way to reply, but the Quote selection is not always necessary. The FastReply will do the same thing and not copy information when it is not needed.

I look forward to hearing more from you as you are willing to share. What is the art center called that is near you? It is nice that it brings in such good artists.

Janel et al

aloha

Here goes with fast reply. Gene is at The Academy Art Center at Linekona. It is associated with the Honolulu Academy of Arts and is a historic building located between Waikiki and the business district in a nice part of town.

My comments about visiting artists was meant in a broader sense to include a loose network of venues. Included are the Contemporary Arts Museum (nearby, on a hill above the city); the Art Dept. at the University of Hawaii (within 3 miles of the other two); all on Oahu. While on the subject, there is the Maui Arts and Cultural Center (where else?). And my favorite, the Volcano Arts Center; located in Volcanoes National Park, the gallery (housed in a historic lodge)is a short stroll from the edge of the crater. The Arts Center (I have not seen yet) is a bike ride away in the Volcano Village in (yes) another historic building, the old Japanese School. I hear they accommodate visiting artist. I mention all this because you may see opportunities for grants and visits. I am sorry, but I do not know how to form links yet so please look these up the old fashioned way.

mahalo

Karl

Archived