my latest work

this is my latest piece. it is a mania made for a friend who recently lost a friend. the mania is a guardian in maori culture, i recently found out that the three fingers in a carving represent birth life and death, and the thumb if present is a representation of the afterlife.(her husband asked me to incorperate so i did) the tail is a koro (new life). and i put in the initials S and G the S being the main body and the G being the koro and the tail.

Enjoy

I hope you like

Cheers

Doug

post-1103-1176156448.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi there Doug,

welcome aboard :huh: , I gather that you are working within a strong cultural tradition, it will be very interesting to learn more about the way you approach your carvings and the symbolism of the various elements. I appreciated learning about the meaning behind the piece you've shown us and look forward to seeing and learning more.

regards, Ford :rolleyes:

Hi Ford

The cultural tradition IS strong within the maori community. Unfortunatly the carver who taught me did so about 2 weeks before my parents decided to move to Aussie. so i never really got to get right into the cultural side of maori-(dom?). I have a lot of friends who have very strong spiritual/cultural connections to the maori's and most of the things that i have learned about the meanings, sybolisms,the kinds of elements, have been by word of mouth, reading books (thanks Steven Myhre.... i still dont get the use of the skew chisel and how/why its used, another trip around the www i guess) and the wonderful WWW. So what it really comes down to is that i was taught the basics of carving how to make the shape etc, all the rest is self taught. LOTS of breakage, recarve, blood sweat and tears & practice in this department

I welcome any help from anyone in this area!!

the way i approach the carving......

i dont bless carvings as traditional maori's do. i just make them and it is up to the wearer to have them blessed or not as they see fit.

having said that, this may seem strange, but...

If it is a piece for some-one in perticular(people i know), i try to think about everything that i know about that person as i carve. If it is a mania (guardian) i sort of talk (mostly think) to the carving asking it to do what it is made for, think/talk to the carving the story of the person it is being made for and the reason for it being carved.

for the people i dont know i just ask the mania to protect the wearer.

same for the hei matau (hook) etc

for any interested i put a link in for a pdf of the meanings

http://www.carving.co.nz/misc/A3MaoriDesign.PDF i hope it works

for all the other carving i do i just think about what i want the carving to look like at the end, and practice at doing that perticular type of thing. eg laying a paua eye inlay, or putting a paua stripe inlay accross a whole piece, or doing double sided,or doing a negative (working on this at the moment) or doing linked rings type thing,(want to do this but havent worked out even the basics of this yet)

Doug

"i still dont get the use of the skew chisel and how/why its used" Each edge is a scraping blade, the point can be used to undercut to separate elements, like a the edge of a leaf from the background, and also the point can act as a graver, to inscribe lines, one way or another. The straight edged skew tools have three cutting or scraping edges, good for left scraping action or right scraping action. Sharp tools act like a mini plane. Rounded edges on a similar three faced tool will scoop out where such action is needed. Vary the diameter of the tool blank from 1/16" to 1/4" or larger diameter, and different useful tools will result. Straight or curved edges are all variously useful. I wish movies would work here. So much information could be seen with just a few action clips.

Thanks for the thoughtful description of how you approach and think while you are working on a piece.

Think sideways scraping/planing motion, to the left or right (one way or the other, not necessarily north,south,east,or west... :rolleyes: ), to go with the grain as needed. One may use the thumb of the hand which holds the piece being carved, as a fulcrum, or resting spot to aid in the control of the motion of the tool. Japanese carvers and tools are used in such a way. The three edges and the tip are all tools, one chisel is a multiple tool. You will be quite happy to discover its many uses, and then begin to imagine the variations on the angle of the tip, the angles of the three faces (acute or wide variations) to make any number of rounded or straight edged tools. Quite a virtuous design.

Guest ford hallam

Hi Doug,

you poor bloke, having to live in Australia! ;) do you still need a criminal record to get in? :D still, the rugby is sort of OK I suppose but we'll see what this season brings. :rolleyes:

You probably already have it but Donn Salt ( an excellent artist in Jade himself ) produced a beautiful book showcasing the work of some truly exceptional carvers of bone, stone and jade. You'll find details on Donn's website. Click here

Hi there and welcome to you, Andrew,

I for one would be interested in putting bits of instructional film footage on youtube, any pointers? how complicated can it be? judging from some of the sparkling intellects ;) I've seen there I imagine it must be relatively straight forward.

cheers, Ford B)

Ford,

Posting on youtube is idiot proof as you have seen. All you need is an account with them and the movies on hand. I'm sure they have a file size limit, but I don't know what that is.

If you want more info, let me know. Any kind of video like this would be great. For my money, watching someone do something is so much easier to replicate than reading the process.

Yep, I think addidng well recorded video of techniques would take the usefullness of TCP forum to the next level. As usefull as the photo tutorials are, a beginner such as myself begs to see the "missing steps" between pictures, where the actual work is done.

Just wanted show some extra support for the idea.

Archived