Spring Humming Bird

Patrick Hastings

I spent some time with my camera at the humming bird feeder on my porch. They are so used to me that I can park my camera inchs from their perch.

It has taken much learning about my camera to capture this image. This bird is only 3 inches from beak to tail and it is moving quite fast on approach to the feeder.

I have dozens of these little birds zipping in and out. They are so friendly I managed to get one to land on my finger! Usually we have only the Annas Humming bird which is slighly larger and less trusting. "Annas" will often spits nectar at you if you if you get too close to the Feeder. This is the first year we have had Rufous and they are quite friendly and adorable.

post-40-1176403627.jpg

That is a wonderful photo! Thanks so much for taking the time to learn about your camera, take the pic and share it with us. Whereabouts do you live that you are fortunate enough to have such fun visitors? I wonder if I can find any here in Toronto.

That is a wonderful photo! Thanks so much for taking the time to learn about your camera, take the pic and share it with us. Whereabouts do you live that you are fortunate enough to have such fun visitors? I wonder if I can find any here in Toronto.

You are welcome, I am happy to share...

This particular little fellow breeds and hangouts from northern california all along the west coast to Alaska. They have casual appearances all over the western half of North america and they migrate to mexico for the winter. I live in the extreme bottom of the breeding range in the mountains of Northern california (Six Rivers National Forest). This is the first time I have ever seen them in person. It has been quite the spring treat.

Patrick

your friends are very beautiful, is-it "colibris"? You are a lucky, you can see a rare sight.

are your referring to the scientific name? I believe they are "Calypte anna" and "Selasphorus rufus"

Patrick

aha!...that's the same bird every time! you've just been messing about in photoshop :rolleyes: .

cheers, Ford ;)

Wait till you see the Dayglo green and orange version! ;)

Patrick

Archived