Sign in to follow this  
Greg Obach

Kanazuchi Hammer

Hi all

here is my small picture intensive tutorial

two hammers.... large one is made of W1 3/4 inch round stock....

small is 1/2 inch O1 round stock

DSC03738.jpg

Now to drill

note the marks to line up.... ... hammer head is divided in 3... it is first drilled with 1/8 jobber bit.... the drilled again with 1/4 inch bit

DSC03742.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

DSC03744.jpg

DSC03748.jpg

the jobber bit is stiff and drills a very straight pilot hole...

now for the W1 hammer.......start the same with 1/8 pilot hole....... then switch to longer 1/8.... then move to the shop vise to drill with a pistol drill..... the pistol drill had a 3/8 inch bit..... with the pilot hole it should drill straight with some guidance...

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03756.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

to put the pein on the back of the hammer..... i'll stock reduce this... becareful and use safety glasses....... it is ground on a 10 inch wheel...

DSC03763.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

DSC03767.jpg

Now to cut it off...... with a hack saw

DSC03769.jpg

DSC03771.jpg

Now to see both...... they need to be dressed flat

DSC03772.jpg

to dress them flat... a 9 inch disc grinder does a marvelous job.... just hold on tight... :rolleyes:

DSC03774.jpg

DSC03775.jpg

I like to file the hole to be abit of an oval shape...

DSC03776.jpg

DSC03777.jpg

DSC03778.jpg

I realize that you can have a square socket on these......but that would involve forging and using a square drift.... which maybe out of some peoples ability... so the oval hole does very good instead ...

Fire fire fire

DSC03780.jpg

this is my pipe forge..... uses a 3/4 inch T-rex burner........ very handy to have

the buns are ready for the oven

DSC03781.jpg

let take a peek

DSC03783.jpg

getting close to temp....... when they hit the right heat.......a magnet will not stick to the steel.... hold it at that temperature for a rocknroll song....... then quench

DSC03784.jpg

Now quench in warm canola oil for the O1 hammer head

DSC03785.jpg

DSC03786.jpg

Now for the W1

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03788.jpg

with this.......I quench first in a small can of warm water till the face color is gone 3 seconds.......as W1 needs a fast quench......... then quickly into the oil

DSC03791.jpg

Test is for hardness........ you put in vise and see if the file bites ........in this case it skates on the hammer face like ice on glass

hard stuff...

DSC03793.jpg

now temper in the oven on a cookie sheet...... 400 F for 1 hour......... and temper at 425 to 450F next time..... depending on how hard you want the hammer face to be ?

DSC03795.jpg

Part two will be on making the handle to fit the hammer head........ take care and hope you enjoyed it

Greg

Oh...the final result should look like this one i put on a previous post...

DSC03736.jpg

just to give you an idea

Greg ;);)

Guest ford hallam

Hey Greg,

I loved it ;) , you could make a living supplying those to Japan :rolleyes: . I'll probably link this tutorial from my site.

cheers, Ford ;)

Hi Greg,

Excellent tutorial!

I'm turning this tutorial into an Adobe pdf document for The Carving Path resource section, to go along with Ford's two new tutorials. I see from the first photo the heads are 1 and 1 1/2 inches in length, can you provide dimensions of the handles?

Thanks,

thanks all

Hi Tom

the large W1 hammer is 1.5 inch in length, 3/4 inch in diameter, socket was centered by dividing length into 3 sections... then drilling a 1/8 inch pilot hole and moving to a large size of 3/8 inch hole. The handle is 12 inches in length.. i'm not sure if this is the same size hammer handle that Ford has ? just an estimate

I'll be doing a small tutorial on how i made the handle.... soon as this hurricane leaves the east coast and i can get out to the forge... ughh

take care

Greg

Apparently, from your photos, the round stock is other than just mild steel because there appears to be two "layers" in the stock. What stock are you using? Did you case harden it first?

Ralph ;)