Help needed

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

This is not exactly a carving query but is sort of connected as I'm writing about this stuff. ;) What I can"t figure out, and none of my, generally useless, "Idiot's guides" cover is, how to put a hyphen on top of a letter when using Microsoft Word. You know, the sign to indicate that a vowel has a long sound, I think it's actually called a macron. So,..... anyone have a clue as to how to put one on vowels that need to be stretched?

any assistance gratefully received. :)

cheers, Ford

Hi Ford,

You need to configure your keyboard to that as english doesn´t use any supra-vowel signs ;). You have to go to the "Insert" option on top of your Word tool bar, click once, then to the "Simbol" option, click once, and choose from thousands of characters the one that you need. You can also create your own shortcut instead of doing that everytime. Cool huh?

Hope that this helps your work... :)

Hughs,

Sebas

Guest ford hallam

Hi Sebas,

Thanks so much for that, I'll go and play with all those symbols right now :) .

English is such a "flat" language ;)

cheers, Ford B)

Guest ford hallam

Well, I've found the symbols and can insert them to text with no problem, but there seems to be no macron!. there is a sort of half macron which is indicated as being off center and will only position in the adjacent space, there seems to be no way to get it directly above the vowel you want to accent. Any other suggestions? It also seems there is a big debate about whether or not to use them at all, as they arent recognised by search engines, hmm...what to do?

still at it, Ford

Dear Ford,

The long vowel that I know is used in Latin, but of course you can use wherever you want ;), so what you need to look for is the "Latin Extended A" or "Latin Extended B". I think that is standard in every Word. Or try to get a Latin Font... Try here: http://www.linotype.com/search-alpha-a.html

Hughs,

Sebas

Guest ford hallam

Cheers for that Dan,

seems my system was loaded with a rather poor selection of additional characters and no sub-section either. No latin anything. Thanks for your help though Sebas.

Now I'll try this other approach, holding down the alt key....I'll let you know how it works out. I'm sitting on the 2nd floor and my pc set up it very close to a large window.... ;) , If i stop posting then you'll know what happened! :)

cheers, Ford

Hi, I have a Mac computer, but just installed Microsoft Office with Word. I clicked on HELP, the typed in -letter symbols- and found this:

OPTION+n, the letter

The Help instruction works, and looks like it would do a straight line in the instructions, but a ~ is created above the letter. Hmmm.

ā Here is one for you. I have something called Character Pallette. This was in Accented Latin. I dragged and dropped it onto the Word document.

Under Windows (ech), there's the character map application (Accessories->System Tools on XP Pro).

For many Unicode characters, you can enter them on a Windows PC by holding down the Alt key (with num lock on) and typing the number on the numeric keypad (ranging 0-255). Needless to say, with macrons this is outside the normal range... Āā are 256 & 257 respectively.

If you're using a Mac, I can't comment because I don't use them; if you're using Linux I can't comment because I've never had to work with accented characters under Linux, sorry!

Guest ford hallam

Thanks for that Peter,

I've got symbols appearing now :) , now to find the vowels I need. I might be getting there at last.

thanks to everyone for their input and apologies for being a pc ( not politically correct ) moron ;) .

cheers, Ford

I've got it sorted now, brilliant! thanks again all. I've also discovered in the Gulim font, in the character map, a complete set of Japanese kanji, now I can really have some fun!

Guest ford hallam

Hello there, my friend,

thanks for the link, I've printed them and will keep them to hand. Now I'm swimming in exotic symbols and accented characters. ;)

thanks to all once again.

Ford

Guest ford hallam

Hey Tom,

I think you'll all be OK, :rolleyes: after all your survived the strangest character of all...me :D;)

cheers, thanks for the chuckle too :)

Archived