Japanese Boxes

Janel

I am very pleased that a Japanese friend of mine is considering offering a service to the world through her web site. This is a quote from her recent message: "As you know, there are some netsuke-related objects that are not sold at ordinary stores (such as the box for netsuke, and netsuke-related books), and I think that I can serve as go-between for those who want to obtain such items."

To begin with, I believe this service will be as the translator and service provider for ordering Japanese boxes for netsuke and other larger boxes. I have recently received my first order of these lovely boxes and am happy that she is interested in creating a service to arrange the box orders, through her, to the box maker. The boxes are very nice and I am eager to order more.

Are there potential clients for these boxes here among the TCP members? They are really wonderful boxes! Another quote from a recent letter: "I talked with the president of the box company, and he was delighted to know what you had written in your messages. He says he'd be happy to receive orders from you or anyone in the West. His company can supply boxes of any size upon request. If budgeted in advance or any special requests were made, he can make a box accordingly (using high quality wood, etc.)."

I am very excited about the potential resource for those of us who could use such boxes. Also, the fact that our members have searched for particular Japanese books before would also have an extra resource for attempting to locate particular books.

Please let me know how you feel about these potential services.

Janel

Thanks for the interest responses! We are now waiting for my friend to compile a brochure, which will detail international pricing, shipping, and product information. I have a few boxes from which I will be able to make photo of the areas of interest.

We must wait for the details and the go ahead from my friend. She just moved and after completion of my order and delivery, she was considering doing the boxes as an addition to her translation services. Now that she knows that there is interest from some of us, there is an encouragement for her to proceed. We must be patient! Thanks. The boxes are worth the wait, IMO.

Janel

Aloha

I don't know if anyone else has run across this problem. I have had to retire many kiriwood (paulownia) tansu because of damage from a minute boring beetle here that just loves that wood. Fumigation is temporary, as they always come back. Maybe members in the Southern US, where some paulownia can be found, would know.

I have made my own boxes out of Honduran mahogany, sapele or koa.

Karl

Aloha Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Let's not unravel this thread anymore, but post results in Materials? (My fault. ;) )

Patrick

We have infrequent antique kimono and obi sales here, where pieces and parts can be used as liners and pillows. I assume the Bay Area may have something similar. There used to be a place called Kasuri Dye Works that was a storefront source, but they are gone now.

Karl

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ford hallam

Hi Janel,

we're being patient...but I was just wondering if there was any news on the Kiri-bako front from Japan.

Ford :angry:

• 4 weeks later...
Aloha

I don't know if anyone else has run across this problem. I have had to retire many kiriwood (paulownia) tansu because of damage from a minute boring beetle here that just loves that wood. Fumigation is temporary, as they always come back. Maybe members in the Southern US, where some paulownia can be found, would know.

I have made my own boxes out of Honduran mahogany, sapele or koa.

Karl

You might be referring to a product called Spinosad. It is a semi- organic insecticide used against borers and other critters. It makes them stop eating and they die. I'm a Master Gardener and a registered pesticide technician and I have been in the business for about 12 years. That's what I would recommend for safety's sake.

• 1 month later...

Here are some images of the boxes from my first orders. These are from netsuke sized to longer. The lids fit beautifully.

jb_1.jpgjb_2.jpgjb_3.jpg

jb_4.jpgjb_5.jpg

Measurement ruler is in Inches.

I am deliberately not putting firm measurements and prices here, since I don't have the current price for size. The boxes here are possibly standard sizes, but the box maker will make custom sizes as well. :rolleyes: I posted these late in the evening and didn't think it all the way through.

Guest ford hallam

Hi Janel,

thanks for the images, very nice boxes. Are the measurements you've indicated in cm, or inches. I'm never sure which system you colonials favour, the French meter based one or the Imperial inch and foot. :rolleyes:

Could you perhaps also give an indication of the various costs also, thanks. :blush:

Namaste, ford

p.s. ignore most of the above, I've just notices the sub-divisions are 1/32nds.

• 6 months later...
jb_1.jpgjb_2.jpgjb_3.jpg

jb_4.jpgjb_5.jpg

Thank you for allowing me to remind you about these wonderful boxes, which may be custom ordered from Japan.

The boxes shown above are from my first orders. They range in size from netsuke-sized to longer. The lids fit beautifully.

The measurement ruler is in Inches.

I did not put complete measurements and prices here, those are determined when you order the boxes. This set may be a standard size grouping, little notes inside have a #1, #2, #3, #4 from shortest to longest.

The box maker will make custom-sizes as well. When I have ordered custom-sized boxes, I give the inside measurements, length x width x height, to be sure my carvings will fit with some room for the cloth wrapping.

The boxes are very nice and are not expensive. It is a pleasure to work with the English speaking interpreter, Komada Makiko. Since this forum is not a platform for sales, please contact me and I will give to you her contact information.

Janel

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for allowing me to remind you about these wonderful boxes, which may be custom ordered from Japan.

The boxes shown above are from my first orders. They range in size from netsuke-sized to longer. The lids fit beautifully.

The measurement ruler is in Inches.

I did not put complete measurements and prices here, those are determined when you order the boxes. This set may be a standard size grouping, little notes inside have a #1, #2, #3, #4 from shortest to longest.

The box maker will make custom-sizes as well. When I have ordered custom-sized boxes, I give the inside measurements, length x width x height, to be sure my carvings will fit with some room for the cloth wrapping.

The boxes are very nice and are not expensive. It is a pleasure to work with the English speaking interpreter, Komada Makiko. Since this forum is not a platform for sales, please contact me and I will give to you her contact information.

Janel

Hi all,

I also recommend these type of boxes... I've been using them for most of my professional carving career and they are sound.

Regards

Clive

Hi,

I found information (August, 2007) that had been sent to me regarding the type of wood, the inside dimensions, and price of four standard box sizes:

Standard paulownia boxes used in Japan for presentation and storage of netsuke and other works of arts, crafts, and antiques. A-1, A-2, A-3, and A-4 (from left to right in the above photos).

Box type Inside measurements Unit price

A-1: L. 6.0cm, W. 4.5cm, H. 3.8cm 750 yen

A-2: L. 9.0cm, W. 4.5cm, H. 3.8cm 875 yen

A-3: L. 12.0cm, W. 4.5cm, H. 3.8cm 1,000 yen

A-4: L. 15.0cm, W. 4.5cm, H. 3.8cm 1,125 yen

Prices include 5% consumption tax and 20% handling fee. The prices are subject to change when the material prices change.

Shipping will be quoted on each order based on weight, size, and destination as soon as the ordered boxes are made.

Please allow at least 3 - 5 weeks for shipping.

When you choose box type, please make sure that the size is large enough for the work, wrapping, and padding (please read “Advice on padding” below for more information).

Advice on padding

The box does not come with padding. Normally used in Japan are cotton cloth, cotton wool, or very soft paper, all of which should be soft enough not to damage the work.

(If you are to use a new piece of cotton cloth, please make sure to wash it at least once before using, in order to get rid of chemicals.)

Considering the risk of changes along with time, natural material, rather than artificial ones, are preferred.

The photo below shows an example, in which the bottom of the box is padded with cotton wool, and the work is wrapped in a piece of cotton cloth. Another piece of cotton wool may be put on top if there would be enough space between the work and the lid.

wrapped_w.jpg

Please make sure to choose a box that is large enough for a work to be easily removed. (The work may be damaged if it fits too tightly in the box).

*Boxes in other size or form (e.g., box with sliding lid) can be made upon request with additional costs.

Karl

There is a solution that can be brushed on that terminates chewing bugs after they ingest it. I will find out what it is and what the quidelines for use are and post the results.

Mark

Karl/Mark - you can use boron salt maybe ? An organic white powder that you mix with water and paint/spray on. (UltraBoron)

I've used it but mostly for chunky wood framing so no idea what the water / salt would do to a nice bit of finished wood for display !

Cheers

Ed

About the yellow cloth in the photo that wraps the netsuke:

"...it seems that the yellow cloth is called "ukon-momen", meaning turmeric cotton cloth. According to some sources, it was traditionally dyed with turmeric, because it would help avoid worms or insects, making it a good wrapping material for valuable objects."

About the yellow cloth in the photo that wraps the netsuke:

"...it seems that the yellow cloth is called "ukon-momen", meaning turmeric cotton cloth. According to some sources, it was traditionally dyed with turmeric, because it would help avoid worms or insects, making it a good wrapping material for valuable objects."

You're right, Janel, turmeric is mildly insecticidal.

Ralph

• 6 months later...

Janel,

Can you still get these boxes, I remember you gave me the contact info but I was unable to get a responce so I was never able to get any boxes. I would really appreciate the chance to order 5 of the small boxes if there is a chance. price is not the problem - presentation is with this order. I am not a good boxmaker and I need someone who is. HELP!

Regards,

Debbie

Archived