Alchimie

Hello everyone! I'm sorry to don't be more present on this forum...

Here is the latest knife that i’m working on. It's a special order of a customer. I made the damascus blade with a meteorite. I just finish the first step of the handle, mammoth ivory. You can see the step by step in english (maybe with some mistakes) here: http://www.scrimshaw.fr/anglais/pages/nigredo.htm

post-104-1180375519.jpg

Aloha Greg,

I'm back. It is a major holiday here, so I've been in and out.

Just wondering how you refined the surface and detail after the power carving, before finishing and polishing.Especially around the hair, where there is so much undercut. I've looked at Natasha Popova's work in the same material, but could not find the shot of her tools.

(Your english is not very bad.)

Karl

Whoops. Just came across Natasha's tools. Still interested in what you use.

Greg

Absolutely beautiful work. The carved woman captures the Nouveau spirit and I like the realism that transcends the average Art Nouveau sculpture. Thanks for adding the initial studies for the piece. Illustrating the process always makes a piece more enjoyable.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi,

after a removal, I am back. here finished “Alchemy”.

the handle is mammouth ivory for the woman, carved red coral for the egg, and gold nuggets on the egg.

the step by step for the end is here:

http://www.scrimshaw.fr/anglais/pages/rubedo.htm

I made the support (is it the right word?) with the rest of the meteorite, cast bronze, ebony and old iron.

post-104-1184165978.jpg

Hi,

after a removal, I am back. here finished “Alchemy”.

the handle is mammouth ivory for the woman, carved red coral for the egg, and gold nuggets on the egg.

the step by step for the end is here:

http://www.scrimshaw.fr/anglais/pages/rubedo.htm

I made the support (is it the right word?) with the rest of the meteorite, cast bronze, ebony and old iron.

The Coral rough looks like a torso section from some old marble statue pulled from the ocean, neat :lol:. I can't see the gold nuggets? can we get a close up of the head and egg area of the finished piece?

I would call the support a "stand" or "display" those are the common terms used in american knife and sword collecting circles.

Patrick

If I may, I might suggest you forge a tang directly onto your next blade. It would be stronger and even though it may never be used, from a functional standpoint, it would be stronger and add to the desireability of the work. (Technical opinion of one knifemaker to another, although I'll come to you for carving lessons anytime).

• 1 month later...

Sorry I had a lot of problems lately...

If I may, I might suggest you forge a tang directly onto your next blade. It would be stronger and even though it may never be used, from a functional standpoint, it would be stronger and add to the desireability of the work. (Technical opinion of one knifemaker to another, although I'll come to you for carving lessons anytime).

Yes, you're right! I'm working on a new dagger like this, without tang , and I found (too late for this) a solution ..for the next. The next should be better! :lol: Thank you!

Thank you David!

Archived