bug control

Mark Strom

Karl

A reply from the Japanese box thread.

A friend of mine uses a product called Shell Lock for log homes. I have not had the time to research it out but it only works if the insect actually ingest the substance. It is brushed or sprayed on.

Another more natural material to use is called Pyrethrin which is an natural insecticide. It is commonly used in everything from flea collars to insecticidal soaps. It is probably the best to use on items in the home. It can also be re-applied.

Hope this is of some use.

Mark

Aloha Mark,

Thanks for the reply and the research. I'm familiar with the pyrethrins, they are short lived in our humid environment. The Shell Lock bears some looking into.

There is another product some folks might be interested in. About a decade or so ago, I was contracted to restore all the carved ornaments off a Japanese Christian church. (I can post photos when I learn to scan.) Carpenter bees, ants, termites, rot; the hinoki was riddled. To make it worse, all the bug galleries had been pumped full of Paris Green (an early powdered arsenical insecticide).

I turned to the epoxies to solve the problem. (We should start an epoxy thread to gather all the info in one place.) I found this one product Smith's CPES, that works wonders. It displaces moisture, melts it's way through the lignins to bond cellulose and seals off things like Paris Green. It dries flexible (in the cup) like hard urethane; all with little amine blush. It is composed mostly of nasty solvents, with very low viscosity, that penetrate very deeply. But it will stabilize soft spots, knotty wood and temperamental grain with little initial residue (low buildup).

I don't use it for furniture as it is a stain blocker. I have used it as a clear final finish on some Tahitian kamani knife handles. It is holding up. :mellow:

Karl

Hello Karl,

A new thread (on this Materials forum) on epoxy sounds like a good idea. Would you, or anyone, be willing to start that one? It could very well be a long lasting and educational resource for TCP.

Janel

Archived