Hi from the Netherlands

Sjoerd Brink

Hi TCP, my name is Sjoerd ("shoored"). I'm a goldsmith living and working in the Netherlands. Most of my time is spent on mokume gane, trying to figure out how to bring the past(technique) and present(materials + form) together. For the past 3 years I've approached it in a technical way and now I'm trying to make the switch to put the same amount of passion into the designing process. My interest with carving is cutting metal, sorry woodies, but then again mokume does look like wood. Sometimes. From a distance.

post-1363-1181051777.jpg pendant kami shibuichi/304(stainless steel)

Welcome!

I appreciate your measured, patient method of developing your artistic spirit.

You're right :huh: mokume sort of looks like wood... if you squint hard enough...

now that I think about it, does anyone have an example of mokume used for that very purpose; to look like wood in a piece of sculpture or jewelry? I've seen tsuba with mokume, but more often than not, I recall a wood-like grain being developed in a different manner.

-Doug

Guest ford hallam

Hi Sjoerd and welcome :)

at this rate we metal worshipers will soon out number the "woodies", :D Good to have you with us.

best regards, Ford ( the tsuba guy ) B)

Hi Doug,

I can't remember, off hand, a piece of metal work where mokume gane was actually used to represent wood grain. Perhaps it would be too obvious. :huh:

I'll have a look in my "library"...I may be some time :)

Ford

Woodies are taking a break I guess. TCP is a diverse group working in a variety of materials. We currently have a lively group who speak the metal language now, and that is great! Welcome to the forum Sjoerd!

Archived