Carving dragon scales

Guest ford hallam

Hi Karl,

Here is another set with dragons.

Dick

Wow the Dragon face and claw on the bag itself are quite different from what I have been exposed too. Very modern feeling realistic depiction in 3/4 perspective. Usually the faces look slightly skewed or flattened hard to describe the difference in a few words. How old is this?

Patrick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Patrick,

This is a neat pouch. This is a fairly late pouch. I guess c. 1900 or so. the dragon on the pouch is stencled in some way on a type of felt. I have only seen one other like it in that style. The plate on the inside is chased to look like rain. The kanemomo dragon is mixed metal which is unusual for a piece this late. The previous pouch is the same period and the dragons are die struck. Here are a pair of dragon netsuke the large piece is ivory 3" D and the in a pouch dated 1842. The second later with the bowl made of stag antler. Both silver

Dick

post-15-1182172252.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

I'm just guessing here, but do you have a thing for dragons? ;) Thanks for sharing them with us, very nice collection too.

Namaste, Ford

Hi Ford,

These pieces are borrowed from the dealer I work for doing restoration. Several people wanted to see examples of dragons and I thought these were nice examples. However, I do think dragons are cool. I have restored quite a few dragons over the years and will try to find pictures of some of them to show different types.

Dick

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello y'all

Normally I do more woodcarving but my interests go out to carve in iron as well

Would like to see some tools to start with and what kind off iron do we use to make the tools from?

Oww and Karl I believe you make japanese swords right? What kind off iron do you use for the blades?

Made some tools myself to do some ivorycarving hope to finish soon I'll put some pic's on the forum than!

Happends to be well a dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers friends

b_art

Hallo Bart,

nice to hear that you want to try someting new.

Sorry, I do not forge blades. I am a sculptur and softmetal worker. I have actually only limited exerience in forging iron.

The Japanese are using a special raw steel called tamahagane. I ts made in Japan out of iron sand ore and quite expensive. It might be a good idea to use scrap iron in your local blacksmithy for forging and forgewelding exercises. This will give you experience and will save expences. :blink:

Ford had created a thread on chisels used for metalcarving :rolleyes: : Chisel thread

Jewellery suppliers will sell you steel blanks from which you can make you your own chisels. You can obtain them in normal tool-steel or made of HSS. HSS is used for cutting steel.

Try first mild steel or brass for carving exercises to check out how the metal behaves.

Good luck and a lot of fun. ;)

Karl

• 1 month later...

Just had to add to the Dragon talk....... here is a small stg. sil. creature originally modelled in soft, microcrystaline sculpting wax, now in metal thanks to the magic of lost wax casting. Cast in three pieces.... body and wings..... fettled, soldered together , polished and antique patina applied.

post-97-1188599701.jpg

post-97-1188599898.jpg

And seeing as how there are avid frog enthusiasts amoung us another little creature which is designed as personal adornment for us whimsical dreamers.

post-97-1188600705.jpg

Energies from the mid eighties.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Not carved, but here's a dragon you should know about:

Origami Eastern dragon version 3.5, by Satoshi Kamiya.

folded from a 1.8 meter square of paper without a single cut.

This dragon may well be the world's most complex origami piece,

and Satoshi Kamiya is for sure one of the best folders in the world.

I spoke with Mr. Kamiya in Japan, he said that he folded it over the course of a year.

Even if we disregard the origami aspect, it's still highly artistic in my opinion.

post-1626-1189575073.jpg

Thanks, I hope this has not gone too far off topic.

The Kagedo links are pretty cool, I'd like to make a crab like that. I don't think it's "origami" in the traditional sense (one square, no cuts), but my guess is it's "folded" from sheet metal and soldered at the seams.

Here is a link to a time-lapse video of Satoshi Kamiya folding his Phoenix:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2D_4QFPWMzA

and a link to my video about folding the M.I.T. Seal:

Enjoy!

Ah yes, those are all images of work by Satoshi Kamiya. His real website is www.folders.jp.

To try to ease this back into topic, I did some demos and displays at a Japanese cultural event last night - I had on display a handful of origami and two of my best sword-guards. People barely noticed the carved metal sword guards, even though they're much much harder to create! Sad... I doubt even carved dragon scales would have made a difference.

Guest ford hallam
People barely noticed the carved metal sword guards,

that's probably because to most people they just look like old pieces of rusty iron! :unsure: and humans have an in built like of sparkly, shiny stuff, a bit like magpies. ;)

• 1 year later...

Archived