Metalworking Admin Question

tsterling

Ford has asked me to move the metalworking threads (those previous to the new Metalwork Forum) into here. I'll do that, but before we do, I suspect we need to get some organization preloaded.

Admin Question: The Metalwork forum seems to have taken off like a lit skyrocket (which is a good thing!). For the sake of better organization, do we want to have sub-forum topics within the Metalwork Forum? When you answer, please put on your thinking caps and suggest what the topics might be...

I personally think we should keep the present single Show and Tell forum for metal-munchers and woodies together - I know I want to see them all! However, we'll do whatever the consensus is...

Thanks in advance!

Guest ford hallam

Hi Tom,

thanks so much for responding so quickly, and positively. I also think we should keep the "show and tell" section the place for everyone, regardless of leanings ;) , to post new work. We don't want to create factions now, do we? :lol::) .

Personally, I don't see the need for sub-forums although it might be an idea to somehow flag all the various tutorials on the whole site, so that new members can more easily access this resource. But you've already begun that project I think. Perhaps we just need to make people more aware of what they might find here. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I seem to be making lots of extra work for admin of late :) .

thanks again Tom,

Ford

More work yah, but for making a way for great minds to come together here at TCP, the extra activity behind the scenes not such a big deal. IMO. ;) Thanks Tom for handling this idea.

_bdcak2b.gif Happy Birthday Ford!

Guest ford hallam

thanks Janel, ( bashful smiley ) ( hangover anticipating smiley! )

cheers all, I'll drink to your health...each and every one of you! :) , and you know how abstemious I usually am ;)

ford

Aloha

Ford, you son of a ......Happy Birthday! ;)

I agree with the idea of keeping the various disciplines under one roof, so to speak. One addition to ponder. I am composing a post for the Way concerning Risk. Show and Tell can be intimidating to less experienced members (like me). How about something like Experiments or The Learning Curve where we can bring less than "gallery" pieces to talk about? I think this topic has appeared from time to time.

Karl

Yup. Sorry. I can't help it if I am not a beginner with some things, and what I put up there is as much of a risk as anything from anyone. One never knows how successful any of it will turn out, if an in-progress piece is shown. When I do my first metal work, hmmm, it would have to go there, with toe grinding the sand and wringing of fingers. Show and Tell is for everyone, every level, every sort of material we work with. The great thing is we get to tell about it too. It isn't so bad Karl! Also Karl, the new topic for the Way, considering Risk sounds like a good one. Thinking cap on time!

Janel

Happy birthday Ford! Always a reason to celebrate, I will toast to your health with great enthusiasim!

Keep the Show and Tell the same. No matter how experienced there is always some degree of reservation showing new work. The debate about unwanted critique has been covered so that should not be a concern.

I for one always enjoy seeing new work no matter what the skill level. The fact that an individual is doing the work, is humble enough to seek advice and then has the courage to show the results bears respect. We are here to support each others efforts, that seems to be the main focus of the forum and from my perspective it works!

Ford has asked me to move the metalworking threads (those previous to the new Metalwork Forum) into here. I'll do that, but before we do, I suspect we need to get some organization preloaded.

Admin Question: The Metalwork forum seems to have taken off like a lit skyrocket (which is a good thing!). For the sake of better organization, do we want to have sub-forum topics within the Metalwork Forum? When you answer, please put on your thinking caps and suggest what the topics might be...

I personally think we should keep the present single Show and Tell forum for metal-munchers and woodies together - I know I want to see them all! However, we'll do whatever the consensus is...

Just to get back to the original question Tom Sterling posed here... ;)

For the sake of better organization, do we want to have sub-forum topics within the Metalwork Forum? When you answer, please put on your thinking caps and suggest what the topics might be...

Hi Tom,

for sub-forum topics I would suggest matters typical for metalwork like:

- Alloys and metals; - Forging, casting; -Soldering and welding; - Surface treatments and patination.....

Of course these things are quite technical and when discussing on work most of these topics are involved, but it may be helpful as a guideline. :huh:

Karl

Perhaps threads that have previously run thier course and having delveloped useful technical information could be copied into the metal working forum rather than moved. In the future threads can be put here from the start, but there is some good stuff dispersed under other topics that would be nice to have here in addition to the original locations.

patrick

Aloha All,

Okay. Okay. I yield. (As Commodus said, in Gladiator, “The mob rules all.” :) ) After going through the entire Forum, I came up with four reasons to broach this subject.

1) A one time post in S&T would be followed by ...nothing.(Of course, everyone is free to move on, but sitting on the sidelines without participating. Not good enough.)

2) Posts to Show and Tell would elicit no response, good or bad. A real confidence builder. :)

3) At times, the same minimum number of people would comment.

4) An occasional plaintive voice would call for more involvement. A chorus is more effective. Thanks for your input. :(

Come on. All the variety, experience, materials, tutorials, time zones, number of members and styles should have S&T humming with past, present and future work.

As for myself, I feel more confident having put a few things out there.(Sorry Janel, but I felt compelled to respond. Now, if you call my alakuma a tick once more... :huh:;) )

Tom

If I understand this correctly, added subforums to Metalwork would mimic the larger entity with titles like Tutorials and Techniques? I would be for that to separate technical info, but I would not be for adding the Way, Announcements, Who’s Who and the like.

I think Patrick has a very good idea.

Karl

Hi Karl (Carvalho, since we now have more than one),

I think forums like The Way, Who's Who, Doing Business and others that discuss the more esoteric themes that are common both to "woodies" and metal munchers should stay where they are, and single. I suspect the agonies of creating in metal and wood/ivory/antler... in these themes are the same, and hold interest for everyone.

I'm beginning to lean towards an "Alloys and Metals Technical" sub-forum and a "Fabrication/Forging/Tools/etc" sub-forum. Just two, at least for now, to keep things moderately tidy, but simple?

Any additions (or renames)? My head hurts...

I briefly thought of a sub-forum for metal ticks and crustaceans, but then thought better of it... :huh:

Aloha Tom

Simple is good. (My head hurts too.) Anybody else have an opinion? Just two things.

1) That it is relatively clear as to where to open a subject.

2) That it's easy on the administrators. You guys keep us running. Thanks.

I briefly thought of a sub-forum for metal ticks and crustaceans...

As long as you keep your Chelicerata and Mandibulata straight. (My wife makes me say these things. :angry: )

Karl

Archived