here's one

Guest katfen

Guest katfen

Hi All,

Here's a piece done in Ontario serpentine. Size is such that it rests upon one's thumb. All comments, questions welcome.

Thanks for looking ;):huh: ,

Kathleen

post-27-1181409928.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Kathleen,

interesting material. ;) I particularly like the way you've finished it so that there appears to be evidence of the grain of the stone, is that what I'm seeing?. Perhaps a few more images to help get a sense of it's whole form.

Clever little hand sculpture, I bet it's quite pleasing to fondle "in hand" :huh::(

thanks and regards,

Ford

Guest katfen

Hi Ford,

Thanks for your comments. ;)

It's polished smooth and what you are seeing is what is naturally present in the stone itself.....not exactly a grain..more like the chemical make-up of that particular piece of stone.

Attached are a couple more pics. For a closer shot, I'd need to go shoot more as this is all I have at present. :)

Yes, I suspect there are those that would find it quite pleasing to fondle "in hand" as you suggest.. :huh::(

Regards,

Kathleen

post-27-1181411472.jpg

post-27-1181411489.jpg

Aloha Karl,

Thanks for your comments. I've spent many hours hunting such things in the past. No, serpentine isn't related to either jadeite or nephrite. It's quite a bit softer. I believe it's a 3 or 3 1/2 in hardness at best, if I'm remembering correctly.

Regards,

Kathleen

Very nice, Kathleen. I like rocks. It's pleasing to look at, and like others have said it looks like it would feel good in the hand.

I'd like to see more of your work, but your link goes to a big site for many artists and I have no idea how to find your work.

David

Nice sculpture, it reminds me of the small stacks of stones you occasionally run across on hikes in the semi-wilderness!

I think serpentine is closely related to asbestos... :D

your link goes to a big site for many artists and I have no idea how to find your work.

I tried looking for an artist on that site whose names began with Kat and Fen, and that lead me here:

http://katfengallery.blogspot.com/

:angry:

Guest ford hallam

thanks for that Jeff, I couldn't find it either, previously.

Looking good there Kathleen. I really liked "go big or go home" :angry:

regards, Ford

Kathleen,

on a second view, I really like how the green stratum has been revealed.

Not too bold, yet definitely present (if that makes sense :angry: ).

I also noticed how the smaller forms are 'undercut'. A detail I hadn't really noticed before, but I think is very nice.

-t (too early to express myself properly smiley)

Guest katfen

Wow everyone, thanks for the wonderful comments!! :lol:

I apologize about the inaccessibility of the link...shall go remedy that. Thank you for all your interest; it's really good to hear. :D

This piece was meant to be held and fondled, as you all seem to be commenting on. I'm happy to hear that comes across so strongly. I carry different pieces of stone with me when out and about to fondle & enjoy in my hands, so the stone really brings that to mind when I work it.

I'll post up some more work, seeing as you're asking (kinda shy smilie) :D....

Again, thank you everyone for all your comments, it's great to get the feedback...and by the way, I'm always up for critical analysis should any of you wish to venture there....hmmm...Ford??? B):D:)

All the best,

Kathleen

Archived