moosehorn

biwolf

Wow Cooch, that looks fantastic.

What are the overall dimensions? It looks like a good size sculpture.

Are you displaying that in Abbotsford, or is it going off to a customer right away?

See you soon.

Dean

Including the base---29"X17" stain and colour wash added, abalone eyes, also different carving on back. It will be at Abbottsford Dean, see you there. Cooch

I wondered about the eyes, they seem to be glowing. Are you willing to share what sort of stain or color you manage to get to stick to moose antler? Antler is such a hard material and is generally non-porous until you open it up to the interior, that colorants don't seem to be absorbed...

Janel

I wondered about the eyes, they seem to be glowing.  Are you willing to share what sort of stain or color you manage to get to stick to moose antler?  Antler is such a hard material and is generally non-porous until you open it up to the interior, that colorants don't seem to be absorbed...

Janel

hi, Janel, I use watered down acrylic craft paint and I just splash it on and let it mix and run together. really thin, you can build up layers like water colour. till you get what you want. You can also use dyes for different effects. I have used large commercial tea bags in a bathtub. or coffee etc. Tea is an old chinese method of antiqueing ivory. After staining I sand it down to leave stain in background and if I want to add colour, I do it now. depending on effect you desire. Any of the bones (antler to ivory) can be stained. I will have to experiment and see if mineral oil affects colouration. One thing I`ve noticed, you never have so much experience that you can`t learn something new. and I have no secrets. I figure that if I show 10 people a secret, I will get 10 different results., and ain`t that cool./

"large commercial tea bags in a bathtub."

I bet the person who cleans the tub loves it when you use it for staining!

"you never have so much experience that you can`t learn something new"

Nicely said! Good encouragement for us all!

Thanks for the good message! Wish I could see your colored antlers in person.

Janel

"large commercial tea bags in a bathtub." 

I bet the person who cleans the tub loves it when you use it for staining!

"you never have so much experience that you can`t learn something new"

Nicely said!  Good encouragement for us all! 

Thanks for the good message!  Wish I could see your colored antlers in person.

Janel

My wife belongs to the "You messed it up, you clean it up" school of femininity. Probably why we are still pals. cooch

Archived